Great Lakes Helicopter

Located just 45 minute drive from Toronto, Great Lakes Helicopter is nestled among the cities of Kitchener, Cambridge, Guelph and Waterloo and offer the most diverse international culture in Canada. About 59,200 post-secondary students from all around the world attend Conestoga College, University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University, and more than 30,000 students live in the area. More than a half of all Canada’s immigrants come to Ontario, making the province a suitable place for newcomers.

The surrounding urban and rural areas are great for providing diverse training environments, so pilots can acquire many different abilities. Also, the weather of Southern Ontario allows the students to become familiar with weather operations without facing the severe cold of the north.

The Region of Waterloo International Airport (CYKF) is the perfect place for a flight student. Unlike airports with no control zone, the students here can naturally improve their radio skills by the constant communication between the pilot and the air traffic controller.


Studying in Canada

Different from other countries, the international student can work part-time while studying. After graduation, the student can apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) and start working full-time.

While working on a full-time basis, Canada offers free access to the Ontario Health System for the employee, and any family members living together.

And more, the student’s dependent children between 4 and 18 years old have free education. Also, the spouse or common-law partner can apply for an open work permit for the same duration of the study visa. That way, one member of the family can start working full-time while the other member studies and works part-time.

To sum up, the student in Canada can work, have free education for the kids and have access to the free Heath System for the entire family.

Choosing the right program

Conestoga College Diploma Program – The best option for the immigration process. This 2 year Ontario College Diploma offered in combination with Conestoga College allows you to require a student visa valid for 2 years and be eligible to apply for more 3 years of Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) after the graduation. With the combination of the Ontario College Diploma and work experience, you will add more points to your Express Entry immigration process, helping you to become a Permanent Resident of Canada.

Commercial Pilot License Training – Would you like a career as a professional helicopter pilot? As a Great Lakes Helicopter’s student, you can apply for a student visa with a duration of 8 months and enjoy the benefits of being a student in Canada.

Private Pilot License Training – Use your tourist visa and learn how to fly recreationally in up to 6 months.


Admission Requirements

    Conestoga College Commercial Licence Private License

(one of the following)

IELTS 6.0 with no band less than 5.5 5.5 with no band less than 5.5 5.5 with no band less than 5.5
TOEFL 80 65 65
Conestoga EAS 4 4 4
ICAO not applicable 4 4
Great Lakes English Test not applicable Operational Operational
Minimum age Prior to first solo 17 17 16
Before the license 18 18 17
Medical Transport Canada Category 1 Category 1 Category 3
Visa Government of Canada Student Student Tourist


International Student Application Process

  1. Fill out and submit the Flight School’s Application Form
  2. Submit a Can$100.00 partial fee for the deposit. (check out the payment options)
  3. We will then send you the “Foreign Student Letter of Acceptance” that is recognized by immigration Canada; you may then proceed with the Study Visa Application.
  4. Upon acceptance for a Study Visa, please forward the remaining Can$400.00, and confirmation and proof of study visa from the Embassy.

If you are a pilot, Transport Canada will grant credits to foreign pilot licence holders providing the foreign licence originates from a country that is a member of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Learn more about the Foreign Licence Conversion!

For further assistance, please send an e-mail to our International Students Department.